- This event has passed.
Introduction to the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali: Potent Wisdom for Modern Times
April 22, 2020 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Introduction to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
April 23, 2020 from 7:30 – 8:30 pm
with Heather Haxo Phillips
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali are the foundation of Yoga Philosophy for Iyengar Yoga practitioners. And, they are certainly potent wisdom for modern times.
This free one-hour talk is designed to help you get a broader understanding of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.
- chat about the origins of these amazing teachings
- unpack the main themes of the Yoga Sutras
- discuss how the teachings connect to the asana and pranayama practices we learn in class
- get ideas on how to work with the Sutras in your daily practices.
This is a free community gathering to support and nourish our personal practice and be together.
Some of the benefits that I have personally experienced from exploration of the ancient teachings of Patanjali:
- Increased ability to get quiet and sit with stillness
- Change of perspective on obstacles and ability to work with them vs. against them
- More authentic connection with the people in my life
- A deeper connection to my community and the concept of lineage
- A personal devotional practice that is a refuge for me
- Access to my own intuition
- Clarity on my soul’s purpose
This a free event. Donations can be made here.
You must pre-register at least 30 minutes before class. Fifteen minutes prior to class you will receive a unique zoom log-in and specific instructions.
First time on Zoom with us? Check out our tip sheet! Our tips will help you get ready for your first class with us.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Heather Haxo Phillips is a certified Senior Iyengar yoga instructor and the Director of Adeline Yoga. As a teacher, Heather offers expertise in yoga therapy, and is a Certified Yoga Therapist (c-IAYT), Relax and Renew restorative yoga teacher and Yoga Alliance E-500 level instructor. Her teaching is rooted in the ancient yogic traditions, including yoga philosophy, Sanskrit and chant.
Heather serves as a mentor to aspiring teachers and CIYT, leading teacher education programs and volunteering as an assessor.
Heather studies regularly with senior Iyengar Yoga teachers and the Iyengar family in Pune. Her yoga philosophy and Sanskrit teachers include Dr. Gitte Beschgaard and Dr. Sucheta Paranjpe.
Heather is dedicated to her volunteer work as past President of the Iyengar Yoga Association of Northern California and an active volunteer for the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States. She was a member of the Yoga Alliance Standards Review Process and is currently on the board of the Lorin Merchants Association (LBA). Prior to her career with yoga, Heather worked in non-profit management with organizations that supported communities of color. She is a graduate of Harvard College, with a degree in women’s studies.